Saturday, August 15, 2026
John 6:16-24 Syro-Malabar VI Sunday of Kaitha
Jesus Walks on Water
Gospel Summary:
When evening came, the disciples got into a boat and went across the sea to Capernaum. It was dark, the wind was strong, and the sea was rough. They had rowed about 3-4 miles when they saw Jesus walking on the water. They were terrified. But Jesus said, "It is I; do not be afraid." Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore.
1. The Point of the Gospel3 things are happening here:
Darkness + Storm = The struggles of life. Disciples were doing the right thing, obeying Jesus, but still facing storm.
Fear = When Jesus appears differently, we don’t recognize Him. We think “ghost” instead of “God”.
“It is I; do not be afraid” = The moment Jesus enters, fear goes and destination comes faster. “Immediately the boat reached shore.”
2. A Story for This
There was a fisherman in Kerala. Every night he went to sea. One night there was a huge storm. His boat was tossed, water was coming in. He was praying and crying.
Suddenly he saw a light far away walking on the water toward him. He screamed, “Who are you?!”
The voice said, “It’s me, your brother. I came in another boat. Don’t be afraid.”
He let his brother’s boat tie to his. The moment they tied together, the storm calmed and they reached shore in 10 minutes. The brother said: “You were rowing alone for 3 hours. With me, 10 minutes.” That’s what Jesus does. We row and row in our job, family, studies, anxiety... and the moment we say “Lord, come into my boat,” the journey becomes possible.
3. A Small Joke A man was drowning. He prayed, “God save me!”
A boat came: “Get in.” He said, “No, God will save me.”
Another boat came: “Get in.” He said, “No, God will save me.”
He drowned. In heaven he asked God, “Why didn’t you save me?”
God said, “I sent you two boats! What more do you want?” 😅Like the disciples, sometimes Jesus comes in ways we don’t expect. If we’re too busy being afraid, we miss Him.
4. Application for Us Today
In the Storm, Don’t Row Alone: Prayer, sacraments, community = inviting Jesus into the boat.
“It is I”: Jesus doesn’t say “I’ll remove the storm.” He says “I am with you in the storm.” That’s enough.
Fear to Faith: The disciples went from terror → to peace → to immediately reaching shore. When we welcome Jesus, we also reach our “shore” faster.
Closing Prayer:
Lord Jesus, in the darkness and storms of my life, help me hear You say “It is I; do not be afraid.” Come into my boat. Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment